Groceries tend to take a big bite of your income, whether you are living alone or with your family. According to the Bureau of Labour Statistics, the third largest household expense is food. Thus, it becomes essential to keep a tab on the money we are spending on groceries. Read through the post to find some simple yet effective saving tips on grocery shopping.
- The less you shop, the more you save. So, shop once a month or a week. Get that month’s grocery in a shot, and avoid impulse purchases.
- Make an inventory every time you go for shopping. Check the items you have in stock and understand what you can skip this time.
- Do review your last month’s grocery bill to identify expensive purchases. Consider avoiding those items this time or look for low-cost alternatives.
- Compare the prices before adding to the cart. Visit multiple stores in your area and compare the prices of the items you commonly buy like bananas, cereals, milk, chicken, etc. It helps you buy the same items at the lowest possible rates.
- Try to go alone to shop, because the larger your shopping party is, more are the chances for impulse purchases.
- According to a study in the Journal of Consumer Research, consumers tend to spend more if their appetites are high. So, eat before you go shopping. Resist your temptations for the rotisserie chicken or baked goods.
- Plan a budget and make a list of useful items. If you are saving some on every month’s grocery budget, add it to the next month’s budget. But plan to save even more the next time.
- Do not waste the ones you bought. Finish them all and then add it to the next shopping budget.
Eat healthily and be wise. Once you begin adopting these simple tips, you would surely save much. Use the money you save on groceries to make the right investment choices. Do not underestimate the power of these small money decisions. Approach ArthaYantra for expert online advice on right investment choices and holistic financial planning.