The health insurance policy options are inversely proportional to the age of the individuals. A health insurance policy for a senior citizen would be of comparatively higher price, mainly because of the higher risk of for the health issues. The maximum age-limit to buy a health insurance policy or to renew it is 65.
For a senior citizen to apply for a health insurance,
- Fill in the relevant information while applying for a policy. Incorrect information could lead to troubles and increased chances for the insurer to reject the application.
- He or she may have to undergo a fixed number of medical tests like a diabetes test, blood test, etc. to diagnose pre-existing health problems. The doctors on the insurance company’s panel would verify the information listed in the form.
- The health issues discovered in these tests are not included in the cover.
- A health insurance plan for seniors helps save huge amounts against health care costs and curtails the needs for critical illness insurance cover.
- An insured senior citizen can avail up to INR 20,000 as tax exemption under the Section ‘80D’.
Do a thorough research before buying a health insurance for aging parents. Below are the most important points to keep in mind while choosing the medical insurance for parents above 60 years.
Note: Some senior medical insurance plans do not require any pre-medical tests.
Before applying for a medical insurance, get a thorough knowledge of their medical history. It is important to understand the prevailing medical conditions of our senior citizens than relying on the medical history. Some of the tests include blood routine, lipid profile, urine routine, sugar, sonography, liver function, etc.
Compare the existing senior citizen medical insurance plans in India. Comparisons help differentiate available schemes and choose the one that best suits our requirements. Consider factors like inclusions, price, coverage, riders, exclusions, and add-ons. Be careful while selecting a medical insurance for senior citizens.